The Academy, of course, and my mother for ejecting me from her womb all of those years ago, oh, and Jebus, naturally.
My very first award. My cunning ploy to disguise myself as one of you and gain your trust in order to eventually facilitate the oncoming invasion of my people has succeeded.
Seriously though, I have been very lucky to find such an open and supportive community here at WordPress in my short time blogging. I have some amazing followers that I admire with amazing blogs that I enjoy on a daily basis. One such blogger, Natasha Harmer of Films and Things, saw fit to pass on a nomination for this award to little old V. Be sure to stop by her blog and have a perusal; it is chock-full of fabulous articles and reviews, not to mention her great regular Top 5 feature, which never fails to interest.
For anyone who might be new to the blog award system, here are the rules that I lifted directly from Natasha’s post because she’s got the 411.
1. Post the Liebster Award graphic on your site.
2. Thank the blogger who nominated your blog.
3. The nominee is asked to write 11 facts about themselves.
4. Answer the 11 questions from the post of the person who nominated them.
5. The nominee will nominate 9 other blogs.
6. The nominee will then create 11 questions of their own for their nominated bloggers to answer in their Liebster post.
If I’m following the list correctly (I like lists, aren’t lists great?) next up is eleven facts. Since there is very little personal information on my blog I will take this opportunity to give you some gory details.
1. When I was a little girl I wanted to be an actress. Then a marine biologist. Then a psychologist. Then a writer. I actually work in HR. Make of that what you will!
2. I can fit my fist in my mouth. It’s one of my party pieces. Some people think it’s great but most think it’s disgusting.
3. I studied piano and voice at the Royal Irish Academy of Music and am a classically trained singer.
4. When I was younger I told my little brother that we’d found him under a cabbage when he was a baby and decided to keep him.
5. I drive a Toyota MR2 T-bar Turbo.
6. I am completely freaked out by tickles. I have passed out before from being tickled, much to everyone else’s amusement. I can’t cope with tickles. Naturally, because the cat is well and truly out of the bag by now, this means that the OH takes a perverse joy in tickling me as often as possible. I have a wonderful boyfriend.
7. My very first Halloween costume ever was a Pamper’s box. One of the big wholesale ones. My mother cut holes for my head, legs and arms and sent me off trick-or-treating. She was very creative.
8. I used to deliver the post (the mail) to Bono (of U2) in his recording studio in Dublin City center when I worked as a postperson (mail carrier). He was always really pleasant.
9. I am 5’1.5″ in height. I am tiny. I also have big knockers so I looked absolutely ridiculous as a young teenager.
10. I hate feet. Not my own of course, but in general. Feet are frightfully abhorrent looking things.
11. The idea for the name of my blog came about one night after one or two (ten) sociable digestifs (beers). A friend and I had been debating the societal and economic advantages to the separation of Church from State, as one does at such soirées down at the local boozer. My debate style in real life is ludicrously verbose at times (you should read my work e-mails, they’re torturous) and in the end he stood up and announced, “There is no point in arguing with you, you just verbally spew all over everything.” I rather liked this, even though it conjures an unattractive image in the mind. I agreed with him, I do verbally spew.
Here are the eleven questions from Natasha’s blog:
1. If you had to choose a horror scenario to happen to you what would it be; home invasion, alien invasion, apocalypse (of the zombie variety) or stalk and slash?
Great question. To be honest I think I’d be better equipped to deal with an alien invasion or a zombie apocalypse. I’ve seen so many movies/played so many games that deal with this scenario that I reckon I’d be made King (or Queen?) of the Remaining Andals because of my superior survival knowledge. (In reality I’d put money on me being one of the first to die). A home invasion would see me hiding in a closet. As for stalk and slash? I wouldn’t be allowed to live because I’m not a virgin.
So yes, I think I’d go for zombie apocalypse. If they are Walking Dead type zombies. Not L4D type zombies.
2. Tomorrow night you’re going on a date with a film character of your choosing, who is it and why?
Ace Ventura. Because how much fun would that be. And apparently he’s an animal in the sack.
3. When the internet goes down, what’s your coping strategy?
I take the opportunity to see people I don’t see regularly enough because the internet is a cruel mistress. If it was a weekend I’d probably go for a few pints or meet up with the ladies for some shots and table-top dancing. If it’s a weeknight and I have work in the morning (I can’t do the hungover at work thing anymore) then I’d catch up on a huge back-list of books, play a game (that doesn’t require an internet connection) or watch a movie.
If I was really desperate I’d just make a hotspot out of my phone.
4. What’s your favourite show on TV right now?
Breaking Bad. Science, bitches!
5. Would you rather be too hot and have to cool down or be too cold and have to keep warm?
Too hot. I’m from a cold and rainy country, I love being warm.
6. Shower or bath?
I like both. But if I had to choose, probably shower. For convenience. It has to be very, very hot though. Like, almost burn the freckles off your skin hot.
7. What country do you most want to visit?
I’m very lucky because I’ve traveled extensively in my short life and I’ve seen so many wonderful places. At the moment though I think the next stop on my wishlist is probably Argentina. It looks so lovely and I want to learn how to tango.
8. Biggest fear?
Losing the people I love.
9. Favourite ice cream flavour?
Vanilla. Seriously boring.
10. If the purge was for real, which celebrity/public figure would you most want to brutally murder? You can be honest, they’re not going to read this.
All of the Jersey Shore people. I’m sorry Jersey Shore people, but you’re all awful.
11. Any plans for the weekend?
Not really! It looks like it might be a quiet one, which is nice. Will probably have a drink or two with friends at some stage though, would be rude not to.
Next up, my nominees! Just as an aside, please don’t feel pressured into responding or carrying on the award. If it’s not your thing I totally understand, instead you should look upon this as my shout-out to you, my way of saying thanks and of telling you that you’re awesome. I struggled to narrow this to nine blogs, I must admit. Some have been with me since the very beginning of The Verbal Spew Review (all of three months ago, bahaha!) and others I’ve more recently gotten to know and appreciate as bloggers, in so many different ways and for so many different reasons. I noticed too that a couple of blogs I was going to nominate had already received this award, or have more followers than the rules allow (curse you, popular people!), so if you’re not here that’s probably why!
Other blogs that you should most DEFINITELY check out for absolutely all of your entertainment needs: digitalshortbread, Head In A Vice, Oracle of Film and Tim’s Film Reviews. ACHTUNG: The aforementioned blogs are highly addictive.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it my nominees, is to answer me these questions three. (Eleven).
1. What is your very first childhood memory?
2. You’ve hit the big-time. You’ve just won the Nobel Peace Prize. You’ve won the lottery. You’ve gained fame by ruthlessly pursuing the monsters that kidnapped a family member. You’ve been put in jail because you’re just too damn good-looking and the safety of singletons everywhere is threatened by your freedom. They’re making a movie about you. Who plays you, why, and what is the movie called?
3. It’s midnight and you’re hungry. What is your go-to snack?
4. The old hypothetical dinner party conundrum. You can invite any four people, alive or dead, famous or not, to a dinner party. Who do you invite and why?
5. What do you want to be when you grow up?
6. What do you do to unwind after a tough day?
7. If you could be an animal for a day what animal would you be?
8. Do you have a guilty, secret pleasure that you think you probably shouldn’t? Like Reality TV, or Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen? Tell me!
9. There has been an “atmospheric phenomenon” and you wake up with a superpower. You can make yourself invisible at whim. Who do you spy on, and why?
10. I’m sure you have a lovely name, but if you could change it to anything, what name would you choose?
11. Star Wars or Star Trek? If neither, you’d better have a damn good reason.
You are all mein liebsters. Catch you tomorrow for The Walking Dead Wednesday.